With every experience, you alone are painting your own canvas, thought by thought, choice by choice ~ Oprah Winfrey
What We Did
Today students had the first half of the day to work on their homework and complete the tasks outlined in their weekly planners. Daily check-in was done over lunch followed by a Why and Work workshop where students were given time to answer a series of questions from their Toolkits aimed at drawing out their personal Why’s behind their current and future work. Students were encouraged to think back to Simon Sinek’s Start With Why talk and shared key points from their responses to engage in a group discussion around how we align personal values in life and work. We closed the day with Instagram presentations from the teams paired up for yesterday’s photography workshop and excursion with Lydia Isnanto. The presentations were judged based on concept, design and caption (a quote), winning a sunset dinner and night out with Grace and Solonia! After dinner, the group got together for movie night to watch Startup Kids - a documentary about young web entrepreneurs in the US and Europe.
What We Observed
- Today’s Why & Work session delved into several questions that triggered students to think deeply about values, beliefs, social issues of importance and how these translated into the work they currently do and the direction they are headed. Reflecting on these questions and conversations provoked further questions and thinking around how we align personal values in the workplace, in business and in our interactions.
- The Instagram presentations were a pleasure to see as students used the various tools and apps shared by Lydia to show what they saw, captured and drew inspiration from during yesterday’s outing. Each photo was captioned with a quote that best described the meaning and essence of their visual inspiration - a wonderful insight to the students’ thoughts, feelings and creativity.
- Movie night was a great bonding activity and left the students shared that Startup Kids left them feeling inspired and motivated to move forward with renewed focus.
- It’s no secret that good work demands hard work and those who dare to dream big know that success often requires sacrifice, compromise and dedication. We gladly work overtime and opt to get things done instead of getting together with friends, but even the most conscientious of us need to pause periodically to remind ourselves Why we believe in what we’re doing and ensure those reasons align with our values and bigger vision. It’s easy to get caught up in daily grind and lose ourselves in the endless list of things to do but in order to move forward, we we must never lose sight of Why.
- Each of us discover and interpret inspiration differently - through words, visuals, sounds and experiences. Photography provides a beautiful medium for capturing these moments, manifesting our creativity and interpreting what we see. It is a universal form of art that can be shared and appreciated, even with rudimentary technical skill.